At Teched 2012 in Orlando this evening, Microsoft announced SP1 CTP for ConfigMgr 2012 is just around the corner. They have also revealed some of the new features that are coming in the service pack.
Support for new platforms / operating systems like.
- Windows 8
- Windows 8 tablet (Windows RT)
- Mac OS X (This also includes endpoint protection for mac)
- Linux and Unix
- Metro-style applications
- Powershell support! (The cmdlets are also restricted by the access that is set in the console.)
- You can now add a new CAS to an existing stand-alone primary site
- E-mail support for all in console alerts (pretty neat so your don’t have to look into the console all the time to view the alerts)
Suggest you take a look at it🙂
Update: I have also gotten info that this update will include software distribution for both mac and linux. And it will also support endpoint protection for Linux.
Im guessing that ConfigMgr needs to use a certificate in order to communicate with these type of clients. Or a realm trust via kerberos in order to authenticate. Either way im exited, according to Microsoft the CTP will come in a couple of weeks. I will update this post when I’ve tried it.